Title

Ken's Blue Blog
Musings on "the bleedin' obvious"; views on the meaning of life, or anything else that takes my fancy.

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Waste Not, Want Not

My parents lived through WWII, and were used to rationing and food shortages. Therefore, to them, wasting food is disgusting and abhorrent; their motto is “waste not, want not”.

I am pleased to say that they have instilled this splendid dictum in me. I do not waste a scrap of food; even cold Brussels sprouts are used in the traditional dish of bubble and squeak.

The Western world is currently gorging itself into a state of obesity; throwing away all that is deemed to be old and tired, craving instead all that is new and stimulating.

There will come a time when we will be consuming more than we can produce, and shortages will be commonplace.

In order to avoid this, I commend that you follow my parents’ dictum “waste not, want not”.

No comments:

Post a Comment